Senior Applications Developer
07 November 2013, UPS
The Senior Applications Developer provides input and support for, and performs full systems life cycle management activities (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.). He/She participates in component and data architecture design, technology planning, and testing for Applications Development (AD) initiatives to meet business requirements. This position provides input to applications development project plans and integrations. He/She collaborates with teams and supports emerging technologies to ensure effective communication and achievement of objectives. This position provides knowledge and support for applications development, integration, and maintenance. He/She provides input to department and project teams on decisions supporting projects.
Performs System Analysis and Design
- Participates in defining and developing technical specifications to meet systems’ requirements.
- Analyzes and translates logical designs to create physical designs.
- Assesses detailed designs and documentation to ensure alignment with business requirements.
- Defines interfaces among systems components to ensure interoperability.
Designs and Develops Moderate to Highly Complex Applications
- Analyzes, designs, codes, tests, corrects, and documents moderate to highly complex programs to ensure optimal performance and compliance.
- Reviews and understands specifications to achieve coding tasks.
- Reviews, analyzes, and refines requirements and specifications to ensure quality.
Develops Application Documentation
- Develops and maintains system documentation to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Creates unit test plans and reviews documented results to ensure requirements are met.
- Creates technical documentation in compliance with UPS Software Development Lifecycle to communicate and update project teams and stakeholders.
Produces Integration Builds
- Defines and produces integration builds to create applications.
- Performs build processes to produce software and to prepare application for delivery.
- Produces integration test specifications to conduct tests, record failures, and conduct fault diagnoses.
Performs Maintenance and Support
- Defines and administers procedures to monitor systems performance and integrity.
- Performs applications maintenance and support functions to support problem resolution.
- Documents maintenance and support activities to ensure quality control.
- Performs business continuity and disaster recovery activities to ensure availability requirements are met.
Supports Emerging Technologies and Products
- Monitors the industry to gain knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies.
- Identifies new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products to maintain industry competitiveness.
- Determines relevance and potential value of new technologies to support business objectives and strategy.
Linux Application Development, DOC1 Software (Series 4 & 5) - DOC1EMFE, DOC1PCE, DOC1GEN, Message1, TIF2AFP PRO Image Converter. LINUX, Shell Scripting , Crontab, Putty, WinSCP, FTP, SFTP, COBOL, DB2, VSAM, JCL, PVCS, Expeditor, TSO/ISPF, QMF, SQL, NDM (Connect Direct), FILE-AID
SQL Programming - Intermediate
XML - Beginner
HTML - Beginner
Structured Systems Analysis - Intermediate
UNIX Shell - Intermediate
CICS Programming - Intermediate
MVS/JCL - Intermediate
Easytrieve+ - Beginner
COBOL Programming - Advanced
FileAid - Intermediate
Expediter - Intermediate
The desired Senior Applications Developer will possess a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics or related field or the equivalent in education and work experience.