Cloud IT Specialist
9 November 2013, IBM Software Group
IBM is the world's largest outsourcing provider with over 1000 accounts in nearly every country. IBM has acquired SoftLayer a premier cloud and hosting provider in the cloud computing space. With nearly 200,000 Cloud servers spread across data centers in Amsterdam, Singapore, Dallas, Seattle, San Jose, Houston, and Washington, D.C. we are accelerating the formation of the IBM Cloud Services Division.
At the IBM Advanced Cloud Solutions Team, we focus on innovation and revenue around Cloud. We evaluate leading edge cloud technologies, we prototype new solutions, and we work with customers and partners. We want to bring the best of breed outsourcing skills, to the best of breed cloud infrastructure. In order to do that we need talented, motivated, visionary individuals to help design, build, and lead the market with dev-ops practices, automated services, and top notch managed service provider execution teams. We focus on everything from disaster recovery to virtualization, private clouds to hosted applications, composable self managed services to fully managed enterprise environments. Our customers range from small-medium businesses to multi-national corporations with worldwide computing needs that support vertical industry solutions.
We are looking for very strong cloud computing engineers focused on creation and rapid evaluation of leading edge technologies for the IBM Cloud. The candidate will be working closely with account, product development teams, as well as customers and partners, driving adoption of IBM Cloud platforms and offerings.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable in a quick paced and agile environment. He or she should have strong development and integration skills as well as communication skills and be ready to take charge of distributed multi-geography, ad-hoc teams.
- Become an expert in our products and services, the market and the competition
- Help transform managed services to a fully automated Dev-Ops approach
- Quickly evaluate research and external technologies through rapid Proof of Concepts with partners and customers
- Contribute to Open Source development efforts
- Generate ideas for new features through innovation and market / industry expertise
- Engage in cross-company solution development task forces
- Help on-board customers onto IBM Cloud Computing platforms, providing white glove service as needed
- Represent IBM at trade shows and conferences
- Generate reusable assets, whitepapers, articles around best practices of the use of Cloud Computing
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Experience with Cloud Computing and especially Cloud Administration -- VMware, OpenStack, CloudStack
- Hands-on programming experience with Java, Ruby and/or Python
- Experience with orchestration and automation technology with a dev-ops focus
- Experience with virtualization and hypervisors -- e.g. KVM, Xen, VMware, and/or HyperV
- Experience with networking in a virtualized environment -- Juniper and/or Cisco certifications a plus
- Strong Linux / RHEL administration and networking administration / troubleshooting skills -- e.g. VSwitch GRE tunneling, iptables and dnsmasq, tcpdump
- Direct experience with a few major cloud providers, such as AWS, RackSpace a plus
- Experience with Cloud Aggregator technologies, such as RightScale and CloudFoundry, a solid plus
- Monitoring experience -- e.g. Nagios, Ganglia
- Contribution to Open Source a plus
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 1 year experience in Java, Ruby and/or Python programming experience
- At least 6 months experience in Experience with Virtualization technologies
- Readiness to travel 10% travel annually
- English: Fluent
- At least 2 years experience in Java, Ruby and/or Python programming experience
- At least 2 years experience in Experience with Virtualization technologies
- At least 1 year experience in Cloud Computing
- At least 2 years experience in Networking experience (Juniper, Cisco)
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.